DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS & BRAND STRATEGY
Reports to: Executive Director/CEO
CHARACTERISTICS OF WORK:
The Director of Communications & Brand Strategy is responsible for planning, executing, evolving and enhancing the market visibility, image and appeal of all divisions of the Birmingham Jefferson Civic Center Authority. This work is to be accomplished by providing leadership and execution of all external and internal communications and marketing strategies and tactics in order to drive business results for the Convention Center, Legacy Arena, Concert Hall, Theater, Forum Building, Uptown District as well as collaboratively with the hotels owned by the Authority. The position will also direct all public relations strategies and activities for the Authority.
All efforts of this position will establish and enhance the image and brand of the Authority locally, regionally and nationally as signature events, meetings and convention destination, an economic impact generator and as a key contributor via quality public events to the quality of life in the City, County, Region and State.
Work is subject to review through collaboration, conferences, and reports to the Executive Director, to whom the employee reports.
The following competencies describe the knowledge, skills, abilities, and attributes that lead to a successful employee in this position. An applicant will be expected to exhibit these competencies or the ability to reach competency achievement within a specified time. These competencies are linked to the essential functions of the job. Employees in this position may be evaluated on these competencies as part of the performance appraisal system.
Communication and Customer Service
- Demonstrates a full performance ability to lead the creation and implementation of organization-wide, results orientated Communications and Marketing Plan to drive business results and enhance the image of the Authority.
- Demonstrates a full performance ability to direct the marketing plan, internal and external communications, public relation efforts, external vendor relations for the BJCC.
- Demonstrates a full performance ability to serve as primary contact for the organization concerning public relations, media relations, creative design, production firms and marketing related vendors. Creates and sends news releases.
- Demonstrates an ability to persuasively and effectively communicate in writing, in person, by telephone or by email and/or social media outlets, with external and internal customers, representing the BJCC brand to customers, the public, government and other external sources. Facilitate media visits to ensure that coverage includes the BJCC Authority’s core messages. Researches current trends in the industry to keep press materials and media pitches fresh and accurate.
- Demonstrates a full performance ability to serve as a primary point of contact for inquiries and comments received through facility websites and social media sites. Act as a liaison with firms that produce public relations materials, advertising and marketing collateral or that provide vehicles for marketing and communications.
- Demonstrates an ability to effectively listen, speak, and interact in a tactful and persuasive manner in both a work and public setting.
- Demonstrates a commitment to customer and quality service by modeling the image of the organization, communicating customer service philosophies, brand, standards, and orienting others in effective customer service strategies. Encourages others to continually improve the customer sales and service experience.
Teamwork and Leadership
- Demonstrates an advanced ability to develop effective relationships with media, key customers of the BJCC, elected and civic officials and prominent business leaders. In the absence of the Executive Director, act as the spokesperson for the Birmingham Jefferson Convention Complex. Effectively communicates and takes initiative by networking and establishing relationships with related local industry partners, to include a diverse group: Convention and Visitor’s Bureau, Media Outlets, Sheraton & Westin Hotel(s) Senior Management, Event Managers, Promoters, Exhibitors, Facility Patrons and BJCC Staff.
- Demonstrates a full performance ability to lead the creation and implementation of organization-wide, results orientated Public Relations, Marketing & Communications Plans: creates and gains executive approval on marketing & communications plans. Works with sales directors on the development of their plans, particularly those elements related to marketing and communications, including target audience identification, key message creation and identification of appropriate communications and promotions tactics. Creates and ensures execution of marketing/promotion strategies according to an editorial calendar including objectives, placements, messaging and coordinate creative players to meet deadlines for campaigns.
- Demonstrates an orientation towards team, and focuses efforts towards diffusing hostile situations and manages conflict appropriately. Expected to work constructively and cooperatively with a diverse group of individuals.
- Demonstrates an advanced ability to model desired leader and team behaviors of punctuality, adaptability, and accountability for assigned work and work of team members. Models behaviors that positively reflect organizational branding and a positive corporate culture.
- Maintains, at all times, high standards, positive attitude, and professional appearance.
Decision Making and Problem Solving
- Demonstrates an expert understanding of the organizational mission, structure, facilities, policies, rules, regulations, procedures, programs, services, etc., to ensure a comprehensive strategic approach to marketing, public relations and sales efforts.
- Demonstrates an ability to strategize, formulate, gather, analyze, interpret and evaluate complex information, follow complex instructions, and effectively resolve complex challenges associated with the work. Chooses best solutions to solve problems, and makes independent decisions and addresses issues, complaints, and needs as part of the group decision making process.
- Demonstrates and ability to meet deadlines, define, measure and evaluate marketing, sales and public relations projects and program results. Prioritizes and sets deadlines for one’s own work and work of team members.
Technical Expertise and Knowledge
- Demonstrates an understanding of the full range of principles, terms, techniques, and procedures to formulate, coordinate, and execute marketing, public relations, and activities to promote sales growth.
- Demonstrates an ability to oversee and drive market awareness and brand positioning of the Authority to create and maintain competitive advantage in the marketplace. Makes creative, independent decisions to initiate, plan and coordinate multiple short-term and long-term marketing plans, strategic marketing plans for the Authority that attract traditional and non-traditional events.
- Demonstrates a full performance ability to oversee marketing collateral of all kinds: develop initiatives that impact marketing, communication and promotional strategies or initiatives that drive the brand. Creation and approval of all brand guidelines, brand items, brochures, flyers, business card design, marquee text, and advertising plans for BJCC and related events.
- Demonstrates a full performance ability to direct the electronic marketing efforts including BJCC website content and design, social media outlets, filmed messages, etc. Oversees the execution of a successful online & social media strategy targeted at maximizing awareness of the facility, build a positive brand identity, and leverage ticket sales. Monitors and manages media reports and photo library. Manages production and coordination of all local, in-state, national and international advertising including print, digital display ads, social media, and videos.
- Demonstrates a full performance ability to arrange media opportunities, press conferences, news releases, write scripts, etc. Coordinates press-related duties during events. Coordinate promotions and special events with event promoters and facility personnel.
- Demonstrates full performance ability to lead market and customer research. Monitor and manage key metrics to analyze and report on results of campaigns, initiatives and strategies. Provide market/customer intelligence by driving quantitative and qualitative customer and prospect research and monitor competition and industry trends. Use website data and research to identify trends and behaviors that can drive strategy. Understand and drive visitor engagement and all associated metrics (traffic, downloads, conversions, social media engagement, etc.).
- Demonstrates a full performance ability to prepare and manage a departmental budget, with positive impact on the organizational budget. Plans and oversees the Marketing & Communications P&L (budget) responsibilities.
- Demonstrates a full performance ability to meet deadlines, define, measure and evaluate sales and marketing plan results. Prioritizes and sets deadlines for one’s own work and the work of team members.
- Demonstrates an advanced proficiency to use a range of current and modern job-related equipment, computer hardware, software applications, social media, and best practices.
- Duties as assigned by the Chief Executive Officer that progress the mission and all divisions of the Birmingham Jefferson Civic Center Authority.
Brand Creation and Execution
Oversee and drive brand positioning to create and maintain competitive advantage in the marketplace
- Create and ensure consistency for BJCCA brand standards associated with both external and internal communications.
- Monitor existing brand standards for the BJCCA associated with both external and internal communications.
- Develop and manage content that drives the brand in all communications (i.e. website, photos, ad copy, video scripts, etc.) for brand adherence and consistency.
- Create marketing messaging, and using various media, execute targeted campaigns to effectively feature and promote the brand.
- Oversee all visual and brand consistency elements of the BJCC’s internal and external channels of communication including websites, social media platforms, electronic communications, presentation deck templates.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in in Public relations, Marketing, Mass Communications or related discipline, with 5 – 7 years applicable work experience leading communications/marketing initiatives.
- Must have a minimum of five (5) years experience leading the full range of marketing, internal and external communications, public relations, preferably in a convention, hospitality, entertainment, retail or service organization.
- Industry certification(s) strongly preferred; APR Certification desirable.
- Proven history of innovation through incorporation of researched techniques and effective strategies
- Proven experience and record of success with brand management
- Proven experience with work in public relations, creative marketing, e-marketing and communications, or related activities
- Proven proficiency in Project Management
- Basic understanding of demographics and media buying
- Knowledge of Convention, Entertainment, Tourism industry desirable
- Eye for design that is effective and attractive
- Basic understanding of graphic design and audio / video production techniques and workflow
- Exceptional attention to accuracy and detail
- Problem solver with ability to deliver quality work in a deadline-driven environment
- Exceptional communications skills, written and verbal including journalism and public relations skills
- Knowledge of how to formulate and effectively execute innovative strategies to enhance brand image, marketing initiatives, communications or public relations activities Realization of the importance of maintaining confidentiality
- Ability to represent the organization and deal effectively with elected officials, civic bodies, business and industry leaders and the public
- Ability to lead cross-functional teams to address business opportunities, including creating business plans, conducting research and leading projects plans and teams.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent relationship management skills
- Ability to remain flexible and adjust to situations as they occur
- Some travel as required
- Extended and/or irregular hours including nights, weekends and holidays, as needed
- Must have working knowledge of computerized software and programs, with Web-enabled brand-building skills for marketing, graphics, website, and social media management
- Must possess the ability to communicate with courtesy and diplomacy both orally and written
- Must be able to speak and understand English
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected, with strong leadership and management skills.
- Must have a valid State Driver License.
Position may require extensive sitting with periodic standing, walking, stooping, and bending. Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
Ability to read, write, analyze, interpret, speak and present effectively.
Ability to work variable hours according to event schedules.